Qualifications and Skills a Painter and Decorator Should Have
Are you the one who likes working with hands, has a good head for heights and enjoys the satisfaction of a day’s hard work? Then a painting and decorating can be a right choice for you. That does not mean this job is as easy as it looks, it requires proper qualifications, skill and effort to be successful in this field.
You may require to have a number of qualifications and skills depending on the type of services you are likely to offer.
Qualifications of a Painting and Decorating Company
Though experience is quite essential, you need to enroll into some college course or apprentice scheme to give your CV more gravitas.
- If you are in UK, you can apply for apprenticeship for which you may need GCSEs in subjects such as Mathematics, English and design & technology.
- Traditional Building Skills Bursary scheme offers a grant and work-based training placements.
- Some of the useful courses you can opt for include the City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate/diploma in Basic Construction Skills (Painting and Decorating).
- You can consider NVQ in Decorative Finishing and Industrial Painting Occupations if you are already working.
- You can also opt for the Painting and Decorating Association (PDA) membership. For this, you need to comply to a range of criteria focusing on your experience and work capability.
You don’t have to join all of the above, but there are a host of advantages if you have.
Skills of a Painter and Decorator
Some of the key skills you may require include:
- Being methodical – You will be working with a whole lot of decorating tools and materials – there is a wide array of paints, varnishes, and adhesives available, so having an expert knowledge of painting and decorating products and using them methodically is a must have.
- Practical and creative – Painting is an art, you need to have good colour vision for mixing and matching paints
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- You should be comfortable working at heights
Total Decorating are a fully qualified decorating company covering the Wirral and its surrounding areas.